Best Places to Spend Sunday Afternoons in The Smokies
Has Sunday afternoon become a whirlwind extension of Monday? Do you spend most of your weekend wishing it was about five days longer? When you visit the Smoky Mountains, you will find that the weekend is truly that – an end to all the things that make your week so hectic. With plenty to do for every kind of family, you won’t run out of things to do in Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg. Here are some great ways to spend a Sunday afternoon, from the leisurely to the exciting.
Nature Lovers Have Plenty of Things to Do in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge
If your ideal Sunday afternoon involves recharging your batteries in the fresh air of the mountains, you’ve come to the right place. There are so many outdoor activities that are perfect for families of all sizes, and people of all abilities.
- Cades Cove: Take a drive through Cades Cove on a Sunday afternoon to see gorgeous sights, tons of wildlife, and historic buildings. If you show up early enough, you may miss the crowds that are still having lunch after church. Bring a picnic and take your time driving this eleven-mile loop.
- Hit some go kart racing or mini golf in Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge. There are several spots to choose from, and all are perfect for entertaining young children. You will have a blast reconnecting with your own inner kid, and you’ll all get a break from screens and busy lives. It’s a win-win!
- Have some thrill seekers in your group? There are many fun outdoor activities that offer plenty of adrenaline. Take a ride on the Gatlinburg Mountain Coaster, or go zip lining in the Smoky Mountains. You can also try white water rafting, skiing or snowboarding in the winter, and much more.
- Of course, there is always plenty of space for hiking in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Head into Great Smoky Mountain National Park for scavenger hunts, guided bird watching, horseback riding, or take a stroll to the many waterfalls in the park. This is the perfect way to indulge in a leisurely Sunday afternoon far away from the noise of the city.
- You don’t have to leave your Mountain Air Cabin Rentals home base to enjoy the stunning outdoor sights of the Smokies. Relax on the porch of Mountain Ridge or take a Sunday afternoon soak in the private hot tub.
Take in a Sunday Afternoon Show and Find Other Things to Do in Pigeon Forge
If the weather is bad, or you prefer a little more excitement for your Sunday afternoon, there are many other things to do in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg. Take in a dinner show, browse the Gatlinburg Arts & Crafts Community, visit a local moonshine distillery, and more. You’ll be surprised to find that many of the local attractions are open on Sunday afternoons.
- The Ole Smoky Moonshine distillery, the Sugarlands Shine, and the Doc Collier Moonshine Distillery, all give tours on Sunday afternoons for free. Pay a little extra to sample the wares, or explore the distillery and the process as much as you want. The Ole Smoky Moonshine Distillery has special sales every Sunday on ‘shine, so it’s a perfect time to visit!
- If it’s a dinner show you’re after, the Dixie Stampede is one of the best things to do in Pigeon Forge. Late afternoon and early evening shows on Sundays are available, and the interactive show really pulls you into the action. You can also catch a Red Skelton tribute performance, watch the Magic Beyond Belief show, or fill your afternoon with the Soul of Motown. There are many other shows in the Pigeon Forge area to make your afternoon special.
- Ride the Gatlinburg Trolley! From June to August, the Trolley offers free rides on the Parkway, which is a great way to add a little charm to your Sunday afternoon. You can also take a tour of the city on the trolley for $2 during one of the scheduled routes.
- Stay in for a movie, a game of pool, or a good conversation around the fire in your Mountain Air Cabin. Sometimes vacations just need to slow down a little. That’s why you can find great amenities in cabins such as Smokies Edge. With your own private theater room, game tables, satellite TV, and tons of room to spread out or curl up, you’ll have many ways to enjoy each other’s company without spending a dime on attractions.
Don’t Forget to Check the Calendar for Sunday Things to Do in Gatlinburg
The Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge areas are always host to a variety of touring shows, seasonal activities, and special events. If you are coming for a visit in the summer or fall, you can almost always catch a special festival or one-time-only guest at a local performing arts center. On Sunday afternoons, many of the local churches host Christian singers or comedians that are perfect for vacationers who want to have some fun away from the usual crowds.
Even if you are visiting in the winter, be sure to check a local calendar for events. You may be able to catch special holiday festivities around the town on a snowy Sunday afternoon, if you aren’t too busy taking advantage of your private hot tub in your Mountain Air Cabin. Explore the region to be sure you don’t miss out on the many activities that are always taking place.
Book Your Stay at Mountain Air Cabin Rentals Today
When you choose to stay in a Mountain Air Cabin Rental, you will never run out of things to do in Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg. Whether you want to head out into the city to try something new and exciting, or explore the natural beauty of the area, there are many ways to fill a Sunday afternoon. Don’t forget about all the fine dining and shopping as well! And if you want to simply gather with your family to enjoy a meal, why not stay in your cabin and take advantage of the fully equipped kitchen? You can have a real family meal even on vacation, a perfect way to spend Sunday afternoon.
Our cabins are just a few minutes’ drive from Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge, and you can also access other local areas, such as Sevierville. With all the luxurious amenities of your cabin, though, you may not want to leave. That’s okay! There is plenty of nightlife to take advantage of after the sun goes down in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg, or you can plan a morning excursion into Great Smoky Mountains National Park to beat the summer heat. Or you may wish to spend your Sunday afternoon on the porch with a good book, taking in the views of the Smokies as much as you can. The “real world” will be waiting for you when you get back around to it.
Mountain Air Cabin Rentals vacation homes are located throughout the Smoky Mountains: Pigeon Forge, Gatlinburg and Wears Valley. We are close to the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, Dollywood, Ripley's Aquarium, many dinner shows and theaters, local arts and crafts, and a variety of other activities.